The Calm Before the Storm

The whir of an oscillating fan. That is the only sound in the classroom, now.

I’ve been in my classroom for a few hours the past two days, taking stuff out of boxes, moving things around, thinking of doing things differently but in most cases doing things pretty much the same. Still, it always feels good starting from a blank slate. That is one of the best things about teaching: you start new every year.

I’m really beginning to look forward to this coming school year. I still feel so fortunate to be a teacher at this school, in this school district. And now, with that Adjustment Year behind me, I’m fully intending on making this my best year of teaching yet.

My classroom is not quite ready yet. I’ll be back tomorrow, finishing up. Then come Monday we’ll have two days of Teacher Work and then, Wednesday, the First Day of School.

After eight weeks or so, I’ve had just about enough of the calm. I’ll be ready to not only face but to embrace the storm.

About rcjockers

I am a middle-school language arts teacher in Connecticut. I like eating hot peppers from my garden, writing, and watching German soccer matches in the dark.