Kiki’s Letter Essay #9 : Flush

I have just finished the book Flush by Carl Hiaasen a 263 page realistic fiction book. This book is about a boy named Noah. This book is full of mysteries and surprises and is very funny. This book keeps you turning the pages to find out what happens next. I chose to read this book because I have already read books by this author and they were all great.

This book is about a boy named Noah and his father who is in jail for sinking the Coral Queen, a gambling boat owned by Dusty Muleman.  Noah’s father, Paine, said he sunk the boat because the Coral Queen had been dumping it’s sewage in the ocean instead of the sewage tank.  As the story goes along Noah and his sister, Abbey, try to defend their dad and try to catch Dusty Muleman for dumping sewage water in the ocean which is illegal.

I was surprised when in the book one guy who works for Dusty Muleman was frightening Noah with a flare gun. The main character in this book is very brave and caring when he always thought about his sister before himself. In the book the author writes a lot of suspense, he says:

” Shelly, I know it’s dangerous-”

“Not to mention crazy,” she said.

“Yeah, and probably crazy,” I agreed. “Look, if you don’t want to be a part of this, it’s okay. I understand.” She shut her eyes and rolled back her head. “Uh-oh, here comes the guilt.” She pressed her knuckles to her ears. “Enough already Noah. This poor blond head’s about to explode.” Shelly stretched out on the sofa. Abbey got some ice cubes from the refrigerator and wrapped them in a dish towel, which Shelly gingerly positioned across her brow. After a minute or two of muffled moaning she said, “Guess I wasn’t feelin’ so brave when I got up this mornin’, but hey, a promise is a promise. Count me in.” (pg. 148-149)

I quoted this passage because it shows a lot of dialog and how the author writes a lot of suspense to keep the reader turning the pages to find out what happens. I would rate this book a 9 out of 10.

5 thoughts on “Kiki’s Letter Essay #9 : Flush

1. Hey Kikay! Wow this book sounds really good! Its been recommended to me multiple times, but no one ever bothered to explain what the book was about. I’m definitely reading this book next. I’m also a bit curious, who is Shelly?

2. This sounds like a good book. I have read Chomp by Carl Hiaasen which I really liked. Though I was hesitant to try this book as it did not sound great. This gave me further insight to the book. I may try it now. Good essay.

3. Kiki this sounds like a really good book. I haven’t read any of his books but I might. This book sounds interesting to me, I might not read this right away but I will really consider reading it. You did a great essay

4. Kiki, that book sounds really interesting. I have not read any of his books but I think I will try to. You did a great letter easy!