Tiernan’s Letter Essay #9: Solitary: Escape From Furnace

I have just finished reading the book Solitary, Escape From Furnace by Alexander Gordon Smith. It was 240 pages long. I couldn’t stop reading this book. All the description and suspense kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time I was reading it. The reason I chose to read this book is because a lot of my friends were talking about this book and saying that it was a very good read. After I read the first book of  the Escape From Furnace series,  I immediately wanted to finish the series.

In this book,  a boy named Alex Sawyer was so close to escaping from Furnace. However, his entire escape plan was ruined by the Warden who caught Alex and his two cellmates dead in their tracks. They took away one of the boys, Gary, and Alex never saw him again. As for Alex and his other cellmate, they were thrown into solitary. After about a day straight, Alex began to hallucinate about his old friend who was taken away during the last blood watch. He told Alex that it was not too late to save him. Sure enough, a kid named Simon comes to help them escape. Simon and his friends have a place where they hide from the Blacksuits. Simon gets them out of solitary and works out a plan to escape. When they are almost ready, Alex thinks about Donovan and tells Simon that they need to take him with them. But they fail to get the monstrous body off of his bed. Alex promises that he will come back for him and Simon and Alex start to climb the steeple. But as they reach the top, they find a nest full of huge man-eating rats. There is no way they are going to get past. Them Alex thinks of an idea. They got the rats to come down and sprint after the Blacksuits. Then there is a huge fight between the rats and the Blacksuits. Blood was shed, shots were fired. But Simon and Alex took their chance. they sprinted to the infirmary and collected their friend Zee and headed for the incinerator, their last chance of escape.

“C’mon Alex think of something. You always know what to do!” pg, 214. This passage struck me because everyone seemed to rely on Alex to think of something, because he was the one who made escape believable.

I rate this book 9 out of ten. It was a very good book because there was a lot of suspense and detail that really made the book awesome. All in all Solitary: Escape From Furnace was a great book.

1 thought on “Tiernan’s Letter Essay #9: Solitary: Escape From Furnace