David’s Letter Essay #12: “The Outsiders”

I have just finished reading, “The Outsiders”, by S.E. Hinton. This is a realistic fiction book of 180 pages. For me personally, I thought this was a very good novel to read, and I felt like I could relate to the characters. This novel tells about 16-year-old Ponyboy Curtis, and his experiences as a greaser.

Ponyboy Curtis is a smart, bright, sixteen-year-old boy, but he does not seem the type, because he is also a greaser. A greaser in a gang with his two older brothers Darry and Sodapop, and his best buds, Dallas, Johnny, Two-Bit, and Steve. Ponyboy can count on his brothers and his friends, but not on much else besides trouble with the Socs. A gang on the west side of town, with rich, preppy, mustang driving, highschoolers, whose idea of a good time is beating up greasers. Until one night someone takes it too far, and fate takes a turn for the worse.

A passage that struck me was when Johnny died. “Yeah, they’re calling you a hero now and heroizin’ all the greasers. We’re all proud of you buddy.” “Johnny’s eyes gloomed. Dally was proud of him. That was all Johnny had ever wanted.”

“Ponyboy.”

I barely heard him. I came closer and leaned over to hear what he was going to say. “Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold…” The pilow seemed to sink a little, and Johnny died.”

I would give this book a 9 out of 10, I really enjoyed reading the book, and I could relate to the characters.

From,

David