Caden, Where Are You From

I’m from rising up and early on a crisp morning, thinking anythings possible, seeing my mom smile down at me feeling me with a warm feeling as she embraces me, seeing my dad dance to Fitz and The Tantrums as he makes burnt toast and starts singing “Ooooh it’s crazy what they think about me…”

I’m from the slow afternoons where all is still in nature, when you want to be outside and about with your family in the wilderness, seeing my cousins and run and play kickball, hearing the sound of the waterfall and the leaves rustling as a breeze floats on by, when all we can say is “What should we do now?” until the sun goes down.

I’m from the chilling and frosty winter days where my mom bundles me up tight enough in winter coats until I can barely walk and waddle instead, sledding down the icy slope yelling “yahoo” until the cold is too much to bare we go indoors and slurp hot cocoa out of mugs by the fire with mini marshmallows floating back and forth as we watch winter TV specials.

I’m from bashing and crashing the football pads together on an early Sunday mornings since 2nd grade, crashing against another player and feeling the rush of adrenaline running in for my tackle as my dad (the head coach) yells at me “That’s what I like to see Caden” breaks yet another clipboard (6 and counting).

I’m from a scorching summer’s day where everyone is splashing about is on the slip and slide jetting down it at record breaking speed again and again, and laughing with my mom and brothers as my dad goes down it with my sister in his lap and flips over dozens of times sending Evie flying, we know we shouldn’t laugh but we can’t help but burst out loud laughing until our sides hurt.

I’m that early-rising-believing, wilderness-loving, bundling-up, football-playing, sliding and laughing boy.

That’s where I’m from.

2 thoughts on “Caden, Where Are You From

1. Caden, I enjoyed reading your poem. I like that you mentioned your family so much. You used great descriptive language when you talked about hearing the leaves rustle and the breeze float by and using words like slurp instead of drink. Great job, Caden.
    Sincerely, Sean Eustace

2. Dear Caden,
    I enjoyed reading your poem, even though we are in the same class. You included tons of strong vocabulary and described all the details with all the details it could possibly have. I liked how you described the summer by saying scorching summer day instead of just saying hot. Very good job.
    From,
    Will