Erin’s Letter Essay #3 Double Identity

The book I recently read was Double Identity. The author of this book is Margaret Peterson Haddix.The genre of this book is suspense and there are 217 pages in this book. Double Identity was originally published in August 2005.I read this book in seventh grade for a book club and didn’t really pay attention to all the detail,so I decided to reread it to make sure I understand and got every detail. Margaret Peterson Haddix got a degree in journalism when she graduated from Miami University. She has worked as a newspaper reporter in Indiana,as a copy editor in Fort Wayne, and a community college instructor. The first book she published was Running out of Time. That was published in 1995. I really enjoyed this book and it was good that  reread it.

It was a couple days before Bethany’s 13th birthday when she noticed that her parents kept randomly crying. As it gets closer to her birthday she finds herself sitting in the car with her parents. Bethany questioned where she was going but her parents never told her where they were off to, all Bethany could do was look at signs to see what town or state she was entering. The car ride went on for hours and during that time her parents were both crying but wouldn’t tell Bethany why. Finally, Bethany was out of the car…She was at her aunt’s house that she never heard of or met. Her parents dropped her off and left Bethany with someone she didn’t know. Bethany tried calling her parents from her mystery aunt’s house but her dad’s phone was off. Bethany was trying to figure why she was there and why her parents were crying,she kept asking questions to figure it out but her aunt never told her. Her dad promised to be back by the time it was her birthday but he wasn’t. Then Bethany heard of a girl named Elizabeth.

The main character of this book was named Bethany she was a confused girl trying to figure out who she was with and why she was with her.I really liked how the author made the main character have to work and never stopped trying to figure everything out. I think the author made the character like this because it makes the reader want to keep reading and they want to figure out why she was there and why her parent were crying. The genre of this book was suspense. The reason is because from the beginning you wanted to figure out what was happening and wanted to know why her parents were crying and the reason she was at a mysterious aunt’s house. I liked the way the author created suspense. Margaret Peterson Haddix made everything start from the beginning. From the first chapter there was something I wanted to figure out and that made me keep reading and made me want to finish the book to figure it out.

“A thousand times today I’ve started to open my mouth, started to squeak out, “Can you tell me…? But then I’d look into the front seat, at my mother’s silent shaking, my father’s grim profile, the mournful bags under his eyes, and all the questions I might ask seemed abusive. Assault and battery, a question mark used like a club. My parents are old and fragile. I’d have to heartless to want to hurt them.”  I really like how the this passage. I loved how you got to know what was going o. in Bethany’s head and why dhe didn’t want to ask her parents and what she was seeing. Also, I liked the description the author used. It gave me a good visual to what was going on and what it looked liked from Bethany’s point of view.

I rate this book 8 out of 10 because I loved reading it and it was very interesting.

2 thoughts on “Erin’s Letter Essay #3 Double Identity

1. Erin,
    I really liked your letter essay. I might read this book. I really liked the quote you picked it really gives me some background on the story. Maybe next tome you can add a little more on why you rate the book a eight out of ten

2. Erin,
    I really liked your letter essay. I might read this book. I really liked the quote you picked it really gives me some background on the story. Maybe next tome you can add a little more on why you rate the book a eight out of ten.
    -Rebecca