Michael’s letter essay #6

I recently finished reading the novel, The City of Ember, By Jeanne DuPrau. Jeanne used to be a teacher and lives in California with her dog. This was her first book, but she wrote other books, One of such being The People of Sparks (The sequel to this book).

I chose to read this book because it was my group’s book in Mr.Jockers class for the book clubs unit. In this book the main character Lina wants her job to be messenger, sadly she ends up choosing pipe works employee. Luckily for her though Doon was chosen as messenger and just so happens to want to be a pipe works employee, so they trade jobs. Lina’s grandmother’s father used to be the mayor of Ember and now she’s remembering that something important is lost, she doesn’t know what, but something. After a while of searching Lina finds her sister, Poppy, chewing on a piece of paper entitled, Instructions. Since Doon is one of the smartest people Lina knows she takes the paper to him but its ripped so they try to solve the puzzle of what it says. Once they do they attempt to save Ember using its contents.

I’d say the theme of this book is, Always follow your dreams because both Lina and Doon have dreams of saving/escaping Ember. And even tho they seem impossible they both never give up on their dreams and keep trying at them. I enjoyed how in the end of the book the author had Lina and Doon talk about everyday items for us and have them be confused about what they are and what they do. If I was the author I would have ended the book with a bigger cliff hanger so to set up the next book with more action.

In this passage Doon and Lina had just escaped Ember and are seeing and feeling the sunrise for the first time ever.

“They lifted their faces to the astonishing warmth. The sky arched over them, a pale, clear blue. Lina felt as though a lid that had been on her all her life had been lifted off. Light and air rushed though her, making a song, like the songs of Ember, only it was a song of joy. She looked at Doon and saw that he was smiling and crying at the same time, and she realized that she was, too.”

I chose this passage because I think its really cool how they reacted to sunshine for the first time. I rate this book a 7 out of 10.

6 thoughts on “Michael’s letter essay #6

1. Michael, great letter essay. I also read this book an enjoyed it. It reminded me of the giver because the societies were very similar. I also read the second book, the people of sparks and agree with you that the ending of the city of ember should have set up more action for the sequel. In your quoted passage, you should have explained what part of the writing that you liked not the why it is important to the book. Overall great job though.

2. Dear Michael,
    I liked how you included a theme and backed it up with connections you made from the book (*though.) I feel like your passage could of been longer and you could of elaborated more as to why this scene is more important than the rest.
    ~Tabitha Aime

3. Dear Michael,

Great job! I read this book earlier this year and loved it! I definitely agree with you that theme is about not giving up, because Doon and Lina definitely never gave up looking in the pipeworks and trying to put together the message. Next time, you should try to have a more elaborated introduction and give more background information on the author. Overall great job!!

-Margaret Brady

4. Dear Michael,
    You wrote a great essay! I liked the connections you made from the book. I think your passage could have been longer. I haven’t read this book but I think I might. Overall you did a great job!
    -Anthony

5. Michael,
    I think you wrote a good Letter Essay, you included background info about the author, which is good as the reader to know, even for one who did read the book. Your Letter Essay was easy to read and was clear to what you were thinking. I also liked how you included putting the theme in there, many people don’t do that. There are a few main things that need to be fixed, one, your summery sort of gave away the book, try using the Who-Wants-But-So model. Two: try to analyze more. Don’t make the analyzes one, long paragraph, make into 3 different paragraphs that are more than one sentence. And three: try not to write in texting language, like tho can written out as though.
    -Madigan

6. Dear Michael,
    You wrote a good letter essay you included a lot of information about the author which gives the reader a understanding on how the author writes. I also liked how you included the theme because that shows everything about the stories characters and setting.

From Tyler