Phily Giorgianni Letter Essay 7

Phily Giorgianni

Period 1 ILA

Mr. Jockers

Hunger Games Catching Fire

Dear Mr.Jockers,

I have recently finished part of the Hunger Games series, Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins, which is a 391 paged book and is in the dystopian literature genre. Catching Fire was published in 2009 by Scholastic Press. This book takes place after the announcement of the next hunger games and who will be in it. Who will be in the next hunger games has never happened before. The Capital is calling for all tributes that have won the hunger games for all of the districts. The focus is on Peeta, Katniss and Haymitch and the tensions between all of them. But when Katniss and Peeta get into the second hunger games they end up working with other tributes that save and endanger their lives on multiple occasions. In the beginning of this book it seems like the other tributes know something that Katniss doesn’t, which creates suspense through out the beginning of the book causing the reader to read more.

Personally I have much better opinions on the first Hunger Games book because it gets into the Hunger Games and fighting much faster than Catching Fire which drags on for a while. But in Catching Fire there is much more information about the Capital and how the treat problems like rebellions and uprisings. A part of the book that surprised me was when Katniss started to work with other tributes but some of them led to bad decisions. This also leads to when Katniss shot the top of the force field. Katniss says, “The chink in the armor. I let the arrow fly, see it hit its mark and vanish, pulling the thread of gold behind it” (365).  The field burst into blue and white sparks as Katniss is thrown backwards and knocked unconscious. As soon as Katniss destroys the force field, the rebels from district 13 come in and try to save as many tributes as possible from the games to stop murderous deaths that should not happen.

If I would give this book a rate out of five I would give it a 3 because at times the book is very slow paced and commonly some moments of the book have no major role or significance in the events to unfold in the book. I would recommend this book to anyone that has read the first Hunger Games or someone that like good science fiction books. I would not recommend this book to anyone that doesn’t like books that are mostly short paced. I don’t plan on reading the next book in the series because I was not necessarily fond of the way Catching Fire panned out.

|