Letter Essay #8 Divergent

Lately I finished the book Divergent by  Veronica Roth in 2011. Veronica Roth is a best selling author. She got the idea for Divergent while writing a tweet about her dogs. She got the idea because he was thinking about when she was choosing colleges and she wanted to show younger teens how hard the college process actually is.

In a futuristic Chicago, the founders of the city divided their society into 5 different factions. Amity, Abnegation, Candor, Erudite, and Dauntless. Whenever a kid turns the age of 16, they get to decide what faction they will go to. For Beatrice Prior, it’s difficult to decide where to go. The constant struggle to decide what to do confuses her. When she takes the aptitude test, a test to see what faction she belongs to, she expects to be put in Abnegation where she grew up. But she gets some surprising results. Beatrice, or Tris, makes a decision that shocks everyone, including herself  Tris Prior discovers that she’s Divergent, therefore does not fit into one faction. If the government finds out , she will be killed. She tries to keep it a secret, but throughout her  training, she reveals to the trainer, Four, that she is Divergent. Soon Tris and Four think up a plan to overthrow the government, they may just be the only ones able to save their whole world.

I wish that, the author had written more about the world and what was happening outside of Chicago. She never really told the reader what was going on outside of the problems in the city.

I don’t agree with and don’t get why the author didn’t make four come in earlier in the book that way she could have made Tris’s relationship with four much more dramatic and more interesting.

“Becoming fearless isn’t the point. That’s impossible. It’s learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”(pg.163) This is a very important quote to the book because it shows that Tris is scared but she wants to never have fears again. It also shows that four is very close to Tris. This book is the first in the trilogy and I’d give it a 4  out of 10.

-Robbie

10 thoughts on “Letter Essay #8 Divergent

1. Dear Robbie,

Great job! I have also have read divergent and I loved it. One thing, just try to use longer, smoother sentences rather than short and choppy ones. And maybe try to length your letter essay a little bit. I really liked the quote you chose, it really fits the theme of the book. Overall, great job!

Sincerely,
    Margaret Brady

2. Dear Robbie
    I have read divergent before and also enjoyed it. I really like the quote you chose but maybe you could of made it a little longer.
    Sincerely
    Hanna

3. Dear Rob,
    I thought you did a great job on this, and I really liked your quote. I have to agree with you on the 4 out of 10 score because it literally copies hunger games.
    Bob

4. Dear Robbie,

I have also read Divergent and I liked it. You really described the book well and I think that you should have included some more information on why you chose the book. Great Job!

Sincerely,
    James

5. Robbie,

I liked your review of the Divergent. Your summary seems very accurate and detailed. I haven’t yet read the Divergent series, but am hoping to soon. Nice job Robbie!

– Michael Farnen

6. Dear Robbie,
    I have read Divergent a few times and I did not have an interest in it. It was not my favorite book either. Next time, I would elaborate in your summary a bit more as it was not very long and detailed. I also wish you gave more information on why you chose that quote.
    Well done,
    Harrison Wenig

7. Dear Robbie,

This is a great letter essay. I really like the quote that you got from the book and it really shows a good part of the book. I think you should make the scene a little longer like by adding the part before the quote so that way the reader can understand a little more of what the scene is about. You gave a lot of detailed information about the book which really helped me understand the book. Overall your letter essay is fantastic.

Kiki Liu

8. Dear Robbie,

Your letter essay was really good. I have never read divergent but I want too. Your summary included a lot of detail and was very well written! Good job.

Hannah Wergeles

9. Dear Robbie,

I have also read Divergent and I agree with your statement that I wish the author talked more about what has happened. Like gibe you some background knowledge. I do think however that your quoted passage could have been better, or longer. Overall good job though.

Julio Calish

10. Dear Robbie,

I read this book too and I liked your quoted passage, I wish it was longer. I was surprised you gave it a 4 out of 10!

-Kayleigh