Abby’s Letter Essay 8: The One

Abigail Straughn

ILA per 3

Mr.Jockers

May-8-16

Dear Readers and Mr.Jockers,

Recently I finished the first half of a book called The One. The One is the last book of the selection series and is written by Kiera Cass. It’s  323 pages and the genre is fiction. I have only read the first half but so far I  the book. Cass is a New York Times best selling novel for the Selection series. In total the series has five books The Selection, The Elite, The One, The Heir, and The Crown. Kiera grew up in South Carolina and currently lives in Christiansburg, Virginia. She’s a New York Times bestselling author and graduated from Radford University after attending Coastal Carolina University. Cass’s first book published was the Siren in July 2009 and the Selection series was published in April 24, 2012. I really did enjoy the first half of the One and I hope you enjoy my letter essay.

America Singer joined the Selection which is a contest for the young Prince Maxon to find his bride. #6 young girls joined some seaking love, some power, and some were forced in by their parents to be married off. In the earlier books girls got chipped off and sended home for they were not right for the prince. The One starts off with a rebel attack while the girls where in the main room. However this attack was very quick and non violent. Silvia rush’s the girls in the basement for protection even though no one is in the palace. They wait 20 minutes and to America it’s very frustrating because if the guards say the rebels left then they should carry out their day. After the attack she goes back into her room and notices a letter that tells her she’s now an Aunt. Her sister just gave birth to a healthy baby girl.

The fight for Maxon continues as the girls brag about how much he loves them. They taunt each other seeing who’s been kissed at all by him and who they think loves more. America had enough and accidently said “we’ll I’ve seen him shirtless!” (page 30). Which caused hesitation, shock, and drama. The girls interrogate America asking for details and answers. At the same time Celeste tells the group why she’s even in the competition and it’s not for love. However Kris just wants him to love her since she’s the only one not been kissed yet. Later on two northern rebels come into the palace harmless. No weapons, two people boy and girl, just to talk to Maxon. They come for a truce the man is an Illea a descendant from King George and the girl is his fiance. They want to get rid of the castes and help to defeat the southern rebels whose plan is to destroy the kingdom. But they want a strong queen as well a queen who isn’t afraid of getting her hands dirty. The queen they want is America.

A little later the King tells the people that the rebels are attacking the people down at castes. America gives the people of Illea strength to fight back.

After the attack America and Maxon go on a date and they realize they love each other but don’t want to admit it to each other.

I really did enjoy The One by Kiera Cass. I thought so far that it feels like the book MATCHED by Ally Condie only if MATCHED was in a castle. I think it’s very interesting how Cass makes the other girls such as Celest to only want Maxon for the crown and then there’s America Singer who loves Maxon for the way he is. I do really like America she’s brave, strong, and a fighter. She helps the good Illeas fight against the southern rebels. One is an amazing book full of surprises, aw’s, and heartwarming parts. I actually at first never read any of the other selection series. I first heard of The One on a cruise ship. I went to the library check it out and realized I chose book number three not one. I thought it was book number one because of the title. So at first I only read a few pages then returning it. When I got back from break I wanted to see if the library had book one of the Selection serse in but only had the third book The One. I decided to do some research on the other two begging books then I was quickly reading The One. I really enjoyed this book and I think the characters are amazing with different traits This is probably one of the best fantasy fiction books I read and I hope you read it too!

Sincerely,

Abby Straughn

1 thought on “Abby’s Letter Essay 8: The One

1. Dear Abby,

Well done on your letter essay I think you did a great job. I think you did a great job on your summary in particular, it really hooked me. I didn’t know those books were so long. Your style of writing is very unique, it makes the reader feel like you at taking directly to them. Tell if you like the rest of the book I’m thinking of sarting the series. Thanks for writing.

Sarah