Bran’s Letter Essay #4: [Book Title]

Dear Tellings,

Recently,  finished reading Zombiekins, a 206 page fantasy novel by Kevin Bolger. Kevin was an Elementary reading specialist, and has been teaching kids to read for 15 years. I chose this story because it is a hilarious book that I love to read and reread. The reason I read it originally is because back then, a few years ago, I adored zombies, and my mom found the book and recommended it to me.

In this book, Stanley Nudelman and his friend Miranda go to a yard sale at a creepy widow’s house, where Stanley buys a creepy doll named Zombiekins. The doll comes to life whenever it comes on contact of the light from a full moon, and it begins to terrorize the school, turning kids into zombies, and the teachers are completely clueless.

An Aha Moment in this book was when Miranda figured out how they would reverse the zombie effect and turn the students back to normal.

A Memory Moment is when Stanley was recalling the time when Knuckles, the school bully, stuffed him into the basketball net and left him there until it was time to go home and someone found him.

A Words of the Wiser is when the widow from whom Stanley bought the doll, and she was telling him that it was no ordinary toy, and obviously, considering it zombified a school, it was no ordinary toy.

One passage that interested me was on page 81 when Felicity, a student who loathed Stanley, became a zombie, and it took him a while to figure it out, showing how everyone was clueless as to the students as zombies.

‘He could tell there was something seriously wrong with her. Felicity would never let her hair get like that.’

What I like about his passage is that it is displaying what the rest of the book will be about, with no one knowing that everyone’s a zombie. It’s sort of like foreshadowing, but simply a little bit before the actual event happens.

I would rate this book a 7 out of 10. I would give it that rating because the more I read it, it loses its humor a little bit, yet it it is still an enjoyable read. It wasn’t an all-time favorite, but I still can have a good time reading it.

Bran