My Memoir- Lydia

Lydia Hummel

Mr. Jocker’s

ILA/1

2/10/17

The Cliff

Both my mom and I went to Atlantis, Bahamas for spring break. I wanted to spend the whole day there on my birthday (April 14.) But we left the day after my birthday. So, at that time I really just spent a week of vacation, and really didn’t have much of a celebration.

By the time I got there, I went straight to the beach.We started searching for a place to sit, when I saw a familiar face. I recognized someone on that beach. She turned around and I immediately yell, “Sara!!!” I screamed. We started running toward each other. I gave her a huge hug. I’ve haven’t seen her in 4 years. We talked and talked for what it seemed like hours.

Sara and I walked up and down the beach, we came across a huge section of rock. But it wasn’t just a section of rock it was a cliff. We both stopped at a peak of the cliff. It was very tall and I was feeling a little dizzy. Sara said that she always jumps off this cliff into the crystal, clear water.

She looked at me and said,

“Do you have your bathing suit on?”She questioned.

“Yes, why do you ask?” I answered back.

“You should jump off it with me.”

“Are you crazy!”I exclaimed.

“It will be fun” She added.

“Well, ok” I said with fear.

I looked down from the cliff. My heart sank down to my stomach.

“I don’t know if I can do this Sara!”

“Oh, you’ll be fine” She added.

“But there is a huge rock in the water! What if I hit it?” I asked.

“I already told you, you will be fine” She said for the second time.

“Well there’s no turning back now Lydia” Sara said.

“It was a huge hike up here and I don’t think that you want to go back” She added. And all of a sudden I jumped, it felt like I was jumping in slow motion. It took a long time for me to hit the water.

Once I hit the water I sank down like a pencil. And when I swam to the surface I looked to the left of me and saw that huge rock!

“Ah,” I screamed.

I swam for my life far, far away from that huge rock.

Later that day, I stayed over Sara’s house. After we ate dinner, she told me a story.

“I have a really good story to tell you Lydia” she said with excitement.

“Ok” I added.

“Back at that cliff we jumped off, remember that huge rock” she questioned.

“YES, how could I not remembered, it was right next to me” I said loudly.

“Well a long time ago, there was a man that jumped off of it.”

“So” I answered back.

“He didn’t make it into the water, he landed right on that huge rock!”

“I wish you told me that before I jumped.” I added.

As that night went on with Sara, all she told me was scary stories. I couldn’t sleep for the rest of the night.

When morning came, all I could hear was the ringtone from my phone. It ringed about three times. But then I finally answered. The person was my mom. She wouldn’t stop yelling about how I didn’t ask her if I could have a sleepover at Sara’s. I couldn’t take all the yelling so I hung up and went back to sleep.

In my head I was planning out the whole day. But something came to my mind that I only had a couple more days to do everything I wanted to to do in Atlantis. I told myself that I needed to cut down the amount of fun activities I was planning.

As the days went on in paradise, I really didn’t want to leave. I kept remembering all the crazy things that I did. But the best part of all was when I saw one of my best friends in Atlantis. And I couldn’t ask for a better way to spend a birthday in paradise!