Danylo’s Memoir “George, the boy who ran away”

( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°)

My mom came into the room. I was watching TV and was barely paying any attention to her presence.

“Where’s George?” she asks. “I thought he was with you!”

I start thinking “Is she joking? He was with her a couple of minutes ago!”

“But he was with you!” I answered in an unintentional blaming tone.

I stepped out of the bus and hurried home. I could feel how tired I was all over my body. I rushed to the front door and rung the bell. My mom opened the door as usual. I hugged her, took off my jacket and my boots and marched into my room. I closed the door, threw my backpack onto the floor and fell onto the bed. I lied on the bed wishing to fall asleep for 5 minutes. Even though it was only five minutes, it felt more like 30, or even more like an hour. I kept thinking about how tired I was, and that’s what made me want to sleep even more. But then I remembered, how hard it must be, for my mom to cope all alone with us. My dad is an Ukrainian politician so he has to stay for long periods of time in Ukraine. But he comes every 3 weeks, or if there are a lot of council meetings, every month. I could hear my mom talking on Skype™ with my dad. My mom was a smart and strong woman. She would cook food, clean the house, rearrange the house and still work while being completely exhausted. I thought, how lucky and proud I am to have such a great mom. I sat down at my desk and began working on my homework. It wasn’t a lot of homework ( about 40 minutes of it ), but because I was so tired, it took me an hour. Then I went to watch some TV in my parent’s room. I do not remember why did I go into my parents room instead of the living room. The living room had a far better TV and it had a far better couch. Maybe I didn’t go there because my little, 2 year old (this story is from somewhere around 2013-14, before Evan was even born) brother, whose name is George. I turned on Nickelodeon and watched SpongeBob and afterwards some mythbusters. I think an hour past, and then my mom came into the room. I didn’t pay much attention to her until she asked where my brother is.

“So you’re saying that you don’t know where he is?” I asked. As soon as I said that we searched the whole house, and we found that the front door was slightly ajar and that the jacket closet was open.

“He went OUTSIDE!” my mom exclaimed in a worried voice.

“But how could he open the door…?” I said, but then my mom raced out of the door.

My mom ran to the lake that was next to our house. I understood immediately that she feared that he might’ve drowned. When I caught up with my mom, I saw that the lake was perfectly still and untouched.

“I will find him, he could not have gotten far.” I reassured my mother.

“Go, just GO and FIND him!” my mom exclaimed in tears. There was a road that went up the hill. He probably went up the hill, because I could see nothing down the hill.

“George, GEORGE!” I screamed at the top of my lungs. “G-E-O-R-G-E-!” I waited for an answer, but there was none. I ran up the hill as fast as I could. I was at a crossroad. I looked both ways and saw two people carrying George and I ran after them as fast as I could. I Was running barefoot and it really hurt and I was out of breath shortly because I was screaming for George and running as fast as I could. They were now only about 50 meters away. I screamed one more time for George and the couple stopped.

“Tha’s me brother,” I said panting. “He ran ‘way.” Then they gave me him, I thanked them for finding him and ran off.

The added weight from my brother made it harder to run, but I had so much adrenaline from this search, I didn’t pay attention to the stinging pain in my feet from running barefoot and to my brother’s wriggling. I ran about 300 meters and got to my front yard. My mother was sitting under a tree, crying.

I quickly ran up to her and gave her George, who was quite confused about what was happening. She took him, hugged him and kissed him.

“Don’t you RUN away again!”  She said in a stern voice. “You scared us so much!”

My little brother (him being only around 2) looked at my mom with a very confused facial expression.
The next day, my mom ordered a chain for the door. When it arrived, we put it up high on the door so my brother wouldn’t run away again. But a month later he did it, again.