Jack K. Memoir

This Guilt Is Going To Hangover Me

The screen is so bright that I have to turn my eyes away every few seconds. It’s like the Sun is in my basement and is trying to blind me. It’s probably trying to blind me from watching The Hangover, a funny but very inappropriate movie. As I scarf my slice of pizza, I hear people coming down.
“Aaron, we have to turn this off.”
We hurry to find the remote so that no one sees what we’re watching. I finally find it buried under some pillows and blankets. As I try to find the power button to turn it off, Aaron’s sister Marley walk in and I think she saw the screen. I can’t be sure because I can’t see her face in the dark, but I think she did.

“Guys, you in here??”
Marley’s voice echos off the walls as she looks in from the doorway. Either it’s too dark to see or she’s just playing with us, she acts like she can’t see us. She walks around for a minute before actually walking into me.
“Oh sorry Jack, I didn’t know where you were”.
“What’s up Marley?”
Aaron’s voice is gruff and sounds annoyed, as if he wants to get back to the movie…. Which is weird because he was against this in the first place.
He was always the one saying “Jack, we shouldn’t watch this” or
“Jack, anyone could see”.
I should have just listened to him.

2 days earlier, I was at lunch talking to Aaron. We were talking about how on Friday we were going to have a double sleepover. On Friday, I would sleep at his house then on Saturday night he would come over to my house and sleepover. We talked about what we were going to do. He said how he had a funny movie to watch. When I couldn’t guess it, he told me.
“Grown-ups 2.”
“Oh really!! I love that movie.”
As we were talking, Evan came over and said
“Hey guys, what’s up?”
We told him what we were talking about.
“Oh nice….”
His voice trailed off by the end of his sentence. He sounded disappointed, probably because we didn’t invite him. We were starting to talk about what else was going to happen when BBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG, BBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG. The bell went off and made us all jump in our seats.
“Jeez, I always forget how loud it is, and then the next period reminds me.”
Max had snuck up behind us and made us all jump a little higher than the bell did. If we had “roles” in our group, then Max is the funny one, Evan is the smart one, Aaron is the athletic one, and I was… well I didn’t know what I was because I’m funny (I think), I’m smart, and I’m athletic but there isn’t a title for the kid who’s all those things so, I didn’t know who I was. We were all just standing around when we realized that we would be late. I started to sprint and then everyone did. We ran through the halls and through
crowds of people and finally reached my locker with time to spare.
After our little marathon, we went to my locker and hung out because we still had time before the next class, Period 5. Period 5 for me was math. We were all talking when Ryan came up. We all liked Ryan and he liked us so we all hung out. We were talking about what we were going to do over the weekend. I had basketball, Aaron and Max had basketball and Aaron had soccer. Ryan had swimming and Evan had a baseball practice. We were all really busy so me and Aaron decided not to mention our big plans to anyone else. We then went our separate ways to Period 5. I had math next. I suddenly remembered that I had forgotten to do the HW.
I had to come up with an excuse that was believable. As I walked in, I braced myself knowing that forgetting your HW was bad.
“Mrs. Pryor, I’m sorry I left my HW at my house.”
I kept my eyes closed, waiting for a response but none came. I then heard a new voice come in from behind me.
“Alright everyone in their seats while I do attendance. I’m your substitute for the day, Mrs. Checca.”
I couldn’t believe my luck.
The rest of the day and all of the next day flew by as I prepped for Friday night. On the way home from school on Friday, I noticed some snow but I didn’t think to much of it. I came home and did all my homework. At 6:30, I had packed my bag and was waiting at the door when my dad said “Jack, the weather is predicted to be really bad, at least 5 inches of snow so no sleepover. Sorry bud.”
Noooo! I can’t believe this. I’ve been waiting for this for days and now it’s gone. I was so mad. I later texted Aaron and asked how much snow they got. He said about 7 inches.
On Saturday morning, all sports were canceled so we went sledding. We went sledding on the hill at Helen Keller. While we were there, we saw Aaron, who was sledding with his dad and sister Marley. After hours of sledding with the two of them, my dad called me over.
“Jack, I just found out that Mr. Shyer is going to the same party as us so I offered to have Marley sleepover to.”
“Oh that’s… nice.”
What I didn’t want to say was that me and Aaron had fun things planned and I didn’t want Marley to get in the way.

A few hours later
“Aaron, come on. I have a really funny movie to show you.”
“OK.”
I couldn’t wait to show him The Hangover, which was a really funny but inappropriate movie. As we raced down the stairs, a million thoughts raced through my head. What if Aaron tells his dad? What if someone comes down? What if MY PARENTS find out? I shook these thoughts out of my head and opened the door.
“Alright, tell me what movie it is.”
“Ok, but you can’t tell anyone. It’s called…… The Hangover!!!”
As I set it up, Aaron’s voice popped up.
“Hey Jack I just looked this up and it looks pretty inappropriate. We shouldn’t be watching it. I mean if anyone comes down and sees, we’re so dead.”
I should have turned the TV off then.

“Aaron, we have to turn this off.”

“Guys, you in here??”
“What’s up Marley?”
Aaron’s voice is gruff and sounds annoyed, as if he wants to get back to the movie.

I ended up getting grounded for a week and my phone taken away after my parents found out what I had watched. I also found out who I was.