Memoir – Mason Wilk

Mason Wilk

Mr. Jockers

ILA  Period 2

2/10/17

The Ice Cream Plan

Everyone in the 3rd grade piled into the cafeteria all at once. Kids were screaming, pushing eachother around, and when the lunch aods weren’t looking flicked food at each other. It was complete chaos. One of my very good friends Danny Tencic came up to me holding an Sour Apple ice cream.

¨Wanna know how to get this for free?” Danny said gesturing to his ice cream by putting it in my face. I had a very bad sweet tooth and couldn’t help myself from saying yes to his offer. It was a bad choice. I could just tell (Mainly from the smirk danny had on his face when I said yes).

¨Alright what’s the plan to get it?¨

“Its fairly simple” he said like he was proud of the plan he had worked up.

“Uhhhh, can we sit down and talk about it? I feel kinda weird just standing here in the middle of the cafeteria.”

“Sure.” He rolled his eyes.

We walked quickly to the closest table and sat far away from everyone else so that they couldn’t hear how to get it. Danny started fidgeting with his hands a bit, which made me start to wonder if he really wanted to share this with me or not. I wasn’t gonna go tell everyone.

“Danny, you look kinda nervous, if you don’t want anyone else knowing I won’t tell them.”

“No it’s not that, it’s just I don’t want you to go tell on me for this.”

I didn’t know how to respond, was danny doing something that bad that he could get into big trouble. Whatever it was I didn’t want any part of it, but I couldn’t just give up free ice cream, if it wasn’t to bad then I would just do it.

“Alright, here’s the plan” There was a bit of silence as Danny looked around making sure no one was looking.

“You know when everyone piles into the lunch line at the beginning of lunch?”

“Yea…”

“Well, everyone get into this big mob right next the the ice cream freezer and no one notices if you just go take one and walk away. Pretty easy right?”

“Um, yea I guess.” I said with a little unease in my voice.

“Okay let’s do it tomorrow!” excitement lighting up his eyes.

The rest of the day went bye in the blink of an eye. I had trouble sleeping, debating in my head whether it was morally right to do that just for ice cream. I came to the decision that I would do it once and see how it felt and if it went badly I would tell Danny I was out.

“Alright every body time for lunch” Mrs. Snieder (My teacher) told the whole class.

Everybody rushed out of the room as usual, except me, I stayed behind waiting for Danny. He finally rounded the corner that hid the 3rd grade boys bathroom from our classroom. We walked to the cafeteria, Danny giving me the rundown of the plan.

“I know, I know” I said impatiently, I had so much time last night thinking about the plan it was nailed into my head.

“Okay here we go.” He said as he opened the doors to the cafeteria. As usual the mob was crowding the lunch line.

He quickly sped across the huge cafeteria, I was so nervous it seemed 10 times bigger than it already was. I followed his every move and covered my face when I saw a teacher. The guilt of what I was about to do was to much for me to handle, but the thought of ice cream made my mouth water so I just kept moving.

We reached the line after what seemed like a few minutes of walking but in reality was only a few seconds.

“Now” Danny said sliding the cover of the ice cream freezer open.

There were so many options to choose from, but I knew which one I really wanted. I grabbed the sour apple cry baby ice cream and walked away. Danny right behind me.

“See, wasn’t that easy?” He was smiling unwrapping a vanilla ice cream.

“Yea…” I pushed my ice cream over to him, he gave me a questionable look “Danny I can’t do this, it feels to wrong, I’m not gonna tell on you or anything but i’m out. See you later.” I just stood up and walked away.

I didnt stop to turn around and see his reaction but instead just went to my regular lunch table and sat down right next to my best friend Charlie.

“Where have you been?” He asked

“No where” I lied quickly. Charlie wasn’t one to pursue a topic if I didn’t own up to it so we just sat there and ate lunch together.

The very next day I saw Danny grab an ice cream from the freezer, but he made a big mistake, the lunch aid was right next to him and saw what he had done. He immediately got yelled at and got sent to the principal’s office. I locked eyes with him and mouthed the word Sorry.