Birch’s Letter Essay #6

Dear blog,

Recently, I finished the novel The Potato Chip Puzzles the second book in the series. a 288 page book by Eric Berlin a author who wrote two other books those books are in the same series as this book. This book was a nutmeg nominee like the first book in the series. I read it because I read the first one and loved it so I decided to read this one. Also I like puzzles and chess and chess is like a puzzle.

In the Novel The main character Winston Breed is in school when he is in class and wants to learn but he is called to the office so he goes there to find the principle makes him do a puzzle that was sent in the mail he does and its a phone number when the call it they are invited to a puzzle competition which then gives the school $50,000 dollars if they win. Winston can have two teammates so he wants his friends to be on his team but his teacher wants two math students so Winston says if his friends cant be on his team  then he would quit. So the teacher said yes. Winston and his team have started the puzzle competition so they want to get going but they get a flat tire, it was from glass so they think someone did it. Someone keeps sabotaging every other team Winston wants to find the cheater but they want to win they cant. At one of the puzzles they see the cheater and want to get him so one of Winston’s friends runs after him but gets but up so they help him. At the last puzzle they have the answer so they want to enter it but they break they entering machine so the ask the girl team if they give them the answer then would split the prize they said no but would take a hint. Read the rest to find out what happens.

I was surprised when Winston couldn’t figure out one of the puzzles I was scared that they would lose I didn’t really think that any of the other people could figure it out but then one of his friends did and I was so happy. I wish that Winston’s team could have caught the cheater at the Ferris wheel and that they won the last puzzle but I was sad when this never did happen This would have made me feel a lot better but then it would not be a suspenseful. Why did Winston’s friend when he saw he was so much bigger then him.This made me feel so worried I really was mad when he got really hurt.

I liked they way the author really explained the puzzle in the book Eric Berlin writes “It was quite fancy-stiff and crackly,and the color of rich cream. On it were a bunch of letters and numbers,written in ink:A picture of the puzzle.”(p.4)It makes the book more interesting I love how he explains what it looks like and actually shows it(In the book it shows a picture of the puzzle).This makes people more interested, and also it makes it so you can solve it yourself. Also if he did not explain it like he does everyone would be so confused on what was going on and just stop reading I think he did a really good job on the puzzles in the book.I rate The Potato Chip Puzzles 10/10 because it is just such an amazing book. I cant wait to read the next book in the series.

From,

Birch Kellogg

2 thoughts on “Birch’s Letter Essay #6

1. Dear Birch,
    Thank you for your letter essay. You made this book seem really interesting and fun! It was a very good idea to mention that there were pictures of the puzzles in the book. This definitely motivates readers to read and try solve the puzzles along the way. Next time, maybe you could add a little more description to the summary because it was slightly confusing. Besides that, you did a great job! I can definitely tell you enjoyed the book ( I myself thought it was also very captivating when I read it.) Again, thank you so much and keep up the good work!
    From,
    Emily Larkin

2. Dear Birch,
    Thank you for your letter essay. You made this book seem really interesting and fun! It was a very good idea to mention that there were pictures of the puzzles in the book. This definitely motivates readers to read and try solve the puzzles along the way. Next time, maybe you could add a little more description to the summary because it was slightly confusing. Besides that, you did a great job! I can definitely tell you enjoyed the book ( I myself thought it was also very captivating when I read it.) Again, thank you so much! Great job.
    From,
    Emily Larkin