Marissa S. Letter Essay #3: Jane Eyre

Dear Readers,

I just finished reading Jane Eyre by: Charlotte Brontë. This is a classic book and is 501 pages long. It was published in 1847 and is still appreciated by everyone who reads it. I read this book because my teacher, Mr. Jockers, recommended it to me in my last letter essay. I am so glad he did because I have loved reading Jane Eyre, and I am sure that everyone else who has read it can agree.

Jane Eyre starts off with Jane at her Aunt Reed’s house, and Jane is very unhappy there. Aunt Reed strongly dislikes Jane, and Jane feels the same way toward her. Eventually Mrs. Reed sends her off to Lowood, a boarding school, so she doesn’t have to deal with Jane anymore. There, Jane befriends Helen Burns, the school outcast, and Miss Temple, her teacher. But, when Helen passes away from a fever that was passed around Lowood, Jane is devastated and distraught. Miss Temple becomes like a mother to Jane, and their relationship becomes stronger over the years. Jane is eventually promoted to teaching the younger students. Sadly, Miss Temple has to leave Lowood, because she is getting married, and Miss Temple leaves Jane with a pearl brooch of hers for Jane to remember her by. Jane starts to apply for other jobs, and gets one as a governess for a girl named Adèle, at Thornfield. There, Jane becomes friends with Mrs. Fairfax, Mr. Rochester, her master, and Adèle. But, when something happens to Jane and Mr. Rochester’s relationship, Jane runs away, yet she will miss Thornfield and her friends greatly. Read the book to find out more!

I was surprised when Jane when to visit Mrs. Reed, and Mrs. Reed confessed that she was wrong to treat Jane the way she did. Also, she gave Jane a letter from an Uncle on her father’s side of the family that was dated form three years ago. Jane and me were both shocked by this! Mrs. Reed said all this time that Jane had no relatives other than her, and when it comes out that she has an Uncle that actually cares about her, it’s such a big plot twist!

I wish that Jane had been able to see Miss Temple again. I think that it would have been a great addition to be able to compare the relationships, from what they had at Lowood to what I wish they had. I wonder if they would still have such a strong relationship, even though they have spent all this time apart. Jane used to think of Miss Temple like a mother she never had, and if she was away from her all that time, and Jane has also grown up a lot, would their relationship be able to pick up on the spot, or will Jane and Miss Temple not be as close.

The character development in this book is absolutely amazing. Jane goes from bing someone who was unable to stand up to her cousin, John, to running away from her master. The change is gradual, and you can tell that she becomes bolder and bolder throughout the book. Jane was able to stand up to Mrs. Reed, befriend the school outcast, Helen Burns, apply for a job as governess, sav Mr. Rochester’s life, knock on strangers doors to ask for food and housing, and more. Jane has developed so much throughout the book, I think that this is one of the best character developments I’ve seen in awhile.

SPOILER ALERT FOR THE QUOTED PASSAGE:

I was struck by how Jane and Mr. Rochester were reunited. Mr. Rochester was in so much shock from Jane finally returning him, h hardly knew what to do with himself:
“‘Is it you- is it, Jane? You are come back to me then?’
‘I am.’
‘And you do not lie dead in some ditch under some stream? And you are not a pinning outcast amongst strangers?’
‘No, sir; I am an independent woman now.’ (p. 481)

My favorite thing about this passage is how you can see how far Jane has com from the beginning of the book. From how she used to be so afraid of her cousin, John, to now becoming an independent woman. You can really see how much Mr. Rochester cars for Jane, and how Jane cares for him. This book is definitely one of the best books I have ever read, and I recommend it to everyone else, too. I give Jane Eyre a 10 out of 10, and I look forward to reading more of Charlotte Brontë.

Sincerely,
Marissa S.

1 thought on “Marissa S. Letter Essay #3: Jane Eyre

1. This makes me smile, Marissa; I am so happy to see that you liked this book so much. There is something to be said for the classics, and a reader such as you should keep them as a steady part of your reading diet.