We Need a Change Now.

The bell rings as the sixth graders head outside for recess. The teachers are watching closely to make sure no one’s hurt. The second the teacher turns around to let a kid into the building the kids playing four square lose their ball. While the teacher isn’t looking one of the students jumps the fence to grab the ball; just as she does that she gets grabbed and is taken away in a stranger’s car.                                                                                                                  This situation happens to many youths all over the world. Statista, said that in 2020.

209, 375 girls under the age of 21 went missing and 59, 369 over the age of 21 disappeared. Every day more and more girls go missing. Not to mention what happens to the females after they are taken. Most are raped, some are killed, and some are held hostage for years and are never found or able to escape. These are the cases that are reported or found. Many cases go unnoticed, and some are within their own homes and are never reported because they are afraid of what will happen next.

According to Central MN Sexual Assault Center, 60% of rapists/sexual assaults are not reported to the police therefore never serve a day in prison. Factoring unreported rapesonly 6% of rapists ever spend a day in jail.

CMNSAC, states that victims of Sexual Assault are 3 times more likely to suffer from depression, 6 times more likely to suffer from PTSD, 13 times more likely to abuse alcohol, 26 times more likely to abuse drugs, and 4 times more likely to contemplate suicide. According to BBC news, one child goes missing every 90 seconds in the United States. That estimates to about 2,300 children every day. “Somewhere in America, a woman is raped every 2 minutes.” Washington Coalition of Sexual Assault Programs states. Both of these articles are stating that there is a major issue in our economy. I believe if young girls had some sort of self-defense plan these numbers would decrease drastically.

There are many ways to learn to protect yourself from others. There are Martial arts, boxing, wrestling, jiu-jitsu, judo, muay Thai, and many more. If girls were to have some sort of self-defense mechanism on them at all times when they are alone, cases like these will drastically go down. You might think that’s over the top to “waste money” on things like a defense tool or martial arts until you are in fear of your life. All of that might be a lot to take in, but I need to get my point across that things in the United States maybe even the whole world needs to change now.

2 thoughts on “We Need a Change Now.

1. Dear Tess,
    I 100% agree with you this is a huge problem and it needs to be taken more seriously. I like the way that you described a scene and used charts to help visualize . Thanks!
    From Samantha

2. Dear Tess,
    I completely agree with this topic and this editorial. This is a very big problem, and it needs to stop. Women deserve more, and you really expressed that in this editorial. I really like the way you said that if they had a self defense plan the numbers would decline. You did a amazing job on this editorial and I can clearly see your stance on this matter.
    Sincerely, Lauren