Don’t Drink and Drive

My brother was in a car with his friend while everyone in the car was drunk. Suddenly they crashed into a pole and my brother had gotten seriously injured, as well as his friends. My brother was in a coma for 20 days, but for my family, it felt like months. When my brother awoke he had to figure out how to learn basically everything all over again, as if he was a child. Learning how to walk, talk, eat, write, etc, along with wearing a helmet everywhere he went because his head was so fragile. To this day, he still has a hard time remembering things, as well as scars on his head from his surgery. Every day he looks at those scars and regrets making that decision of going into the car with his drunk friends.

Every day there is about 28 people who die due to drinking and driving.  In 2010, 10,228 people died in a drunk driving accident. Why would you want to risk your own life, and make your whole family suffer, and ruin someone’s day over drinking while you drive? Car crashes are the leading cause of death for teens with one-third of the causes alcohol-related. Many teens are making the decision to drink and drive. It needs to be put to a stop and soon.

Drunk driving takes more than 10,000 lives per year. Teens and everyone else should really think of a plan before they drink, such as coming up with a backup plan of how to get home, even a plan for their friends. According to State Farm Insurance Company some tips to prevent drinking and driving is asking for a ride, and if you see someone drunk take away their keys so they aren’t able to drive. These are two ways to prevent an accident and possibly save someone’s life. Another way to prevent drinking and driving is by arranging carpools, or by calling an uber to pick you up so you don’t have to drive. There are so many people that are losing their lives by doing one foolish thing.

The information we need to notice is how many people actually get killed by drinking and driving. It takes one minute to take it into consideration. Approximately 75% of fatal crashes occur between midnight and 3am which all involve alcohol. We all need to realize how many lives are being lost due to the fact of drinking and driving. In 2016, 10,497 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for 28% of all traffic-related deaths in the United States. I believe we all need to take action and bring Drinking and Driving to a screeching halt!