Carl’s Letter Essay #5: All the Broken Pieces

1/29/16

Dear, Classmates

I read the book All the Broken Pieces by Ann Burg. This book has 240 pages and is under the genre of historical fiction. This book was published in 2009, so fairly recent compared to some books. I read this book because I love reading or hearing about uplifting and inspirational stories and that is what this book is truly about.  This book is probably one of the most interesting books I’ve ever read and I would definitely consider re reading it!  Ann burg grew up in New York and moved to New Jersey when she was in third grade. Ann Burg was a teacher for 10 years and pursued her passion of writing whilst doing so.  In 2003 she decided to leave teaching to write full time. She now lives in Rhinebeck New York with her family, and continues to make books.

The book is about a boy named Matt Pim who was air lifted out of Vietnam and brought to the U.S. after watching something truly awful happen right in front of his eyes. He was adopted by U.S. parents and, goes on to think that his mother gave him away because of what happened to his brother. But later realizes the true reason that he was sent to america by his mother. Baseball Helps him through this, but baseball can only help so much……….

Considering that the Americans fought Vietnam when matt was airlifted out I found this quote from the book very powerful. ” Maybe Americans should have brought baseballs instead of bombs.” This quote truly made me stop reading and think long and hard about what the author had just said. I Like this because it shows peace instead of violence, And I couldn’t agree more with that.

I really liked the way the author let us experience the emotion of what matt is feeling and I really think that this book is one of a kind and should be read by everyone. It really reminds us of how fortunate we are. I would give this book a 10/10.

Sincerely,

Carl Zuanelli

9 thoughts on “Carl’s Letter Essay #5: All the Broken Pieces

1. Good job Carl. I liked the quote that you added at the end. I will definitely put this on my list of books I would like to read. It sounds very interesting. I also liked your summary of the book. It made me want to read it.

Grant

2. Carl – I really liked your letter essay. I could tell you really liked the book as you spoke really high of it and gave it a 10/10. I also liked the quoted passage you included in your letter essay also.

Michael

3. Dear Carl,

I have heard about this book and since you loved this book I will check it out! Nice quote also

4. Carl

I really enjoyed reading your letter essay because the book seems so interesting and you described the plot perfectly. Now after reading your letter essay I will probably end up reading this book. I also really like your quote.

James B

5. I have heard of this book, I believe I came across it in a Barns and Nobles, I think this book sounds really nice, it’s not my type but I think you did a good job writing the letter and explaining the book, good job!

6. Dear Carl,
    I like that you tell us a little bit of the plot to get us into it.n I also like that you went into detail about the author. Also your quote was interesting because it makes you think. It seems like it is a good book.

from,
    George

7. Dear Carl,

I really enjoyed your letter essay. Your quote was a real words of the wiser and just plain smart. It really just shows this “peace over war” mindset that is very easy to say, but not to act. You also do a good job of describing the plot without giving it away. But hopefully next time you could include a paragraph from the book

-Kam

8. Carl
    Great letter essay, and it sounds like a great book as well. I like how you included a quoted passage, and went into detail about the novel, without giving away the ending. That was a great technique you included, keep up the good work.
    ~Ryan Lauter

9. Dear Carl,
    You did a really great job of describing the book and why you liked it. I also enjoyed your reflection because it was very detailed and really shows that you were thoroughly thinking while reading this book
    Sincerely, Caden