FFFW #5: Kayleigh

I went to Mississippi over Thanksgiving break with my family. We went to visit my sister, Jennifer, who goes to school at Ole Miss. We left the day before Thanksgiving. I really don’t like the fly, but the flight was okay. The airport in New York was crowded. The airport in Memphis, where we landed, was not crowded. My sister’s house is near Walmart, and we went there twice on Wednesday night to buy food for Thanksgiving dinner. We also took a drive through the Ole Miss campus so I could see some of it. They were setting up the tents for the tailgate party on Saturday before the football game. My mom and I made most of the food for Thanksgiving dinner on Wednesday night and the rest on Thursday morning. Before we had dinner, we went to watch the Ole Miss boy’s basketball team play a home game. The tickets were free and we got to sit right behind one of the baskets. My sister has a friend who is a cheerleader. Her name is Rachel. We met her at the game and then she came over to Jennifer’s house on Thanksgiving day for a little while. My mom and I made turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, ham, green bean casserole, deviled eggs and banana bread. One of Jennifer’s friends brought sweet potato casserole, and one of her friend’s dad brought homemade cranberry sauce. Everything turned out pretty good. There were a lot of leftovers for my sister and her roommates to eat after we left.
On Friday, we went shopping while my sister went to work. She works at the Marriott hotel near the school. She is a waitress at the rooftop restaurant. We went shopping at the Square. The Square is where all the students and parents or visitors go to shop, eat and go to the bars. It’s really pretty and looks like an old fashioned town square. There was a craft fair going on in the center of the Square the day we went, so we walked around there for a while. We went to Insomnia Cookies because my mom wanted to show it to me. It’s a store that bakes cookies and brownies and will deliver them to the students up till 3am. I got a brownie, which was really good. After we finished shopping, we went to the Marriott and ate at the restaurant where my sister works. It’s called the Green Roof.
On Saturday, we went to the Egg Bowl, which was Ole Miss v. Mississippi State. Before the game, we went to the tailgate party in the Grove, which was very interesting. It was so crowded with tents, and we went to one tent that was hosted by Jennifer’s roommate’s boyfriend’s father. He was so nice and welcomed us and gave us all the food we wanted. People in Mississippi are very nice. I think they are nicer than people here in Connecticut. Ole Miss lost the football game, but it was still fun. After the game, we went back to Jennifer’s house for a while, then we all went out to a Greek restaurant for dinner. There were 11 of us. We had to wait an hour for a table, but things move so slowly down south that it didn’t really matter. While we were in Mississippi, I got a new Patagonia jacket and an Ole Miss zip up jacket, plus two pairs of shoes.
On Sunday, we went to Graceland on the way to the airport. I didn’t know much about Elvis before going to Graceland, but I learned a lot on the tour. It was pretty interesting. From there, we went to the airport, which was only about 5 minutes away, and we came home. There was hardly anybody in the Memphis airport, but LaGuardia was busy when we landed. Traffic was backed up all the way home, so it took a long time to get home. Before I knew it, it was time to get up for school on Monday!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *